Day 7: What's Your Ritual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 7: What's Your Ritual?

When I chose indefinite abs 9 years ago, I knew I had to make this period of my life more special than the years I spent drinking (and I did). Rituals were very important to me. Some people meditate, some people yoga...my rosary was my lifeline and still is. A candle burning in a dark room, my rosary in my hand, and conversation between me and whoever is listening out there starts and ends most my days. Have you got a ritual?
    https://www.amazon.com/Neighbor-Hand.../dp/B01LWICGL6

https://godwalkedintothisbar.blogspot.com

The only ritual I have is I start the morning off with some me time. Coffee and catching up on emails. At night I close my closet door, get in bed, watch tv if I'm interested and hope to fall asleep soon.

Comment

I was just saying that I always loved the ritual connected with growing up Catholic. Today's reading was nice in reminding how important they are in life, keep the guardrails up. Help me go deep. My only ritual now is in the morning feeding my kitty, getting my coffee, reading the newspaper and then watching too much news. I'm already cutting down on the news. My night ritual is more focused on getting things ready to sleep. Have an eyes "ritual" which includes a warm compress on my eyes for 10 minutes. It actually helps me relax besides helping my dry eye thing. Usually read some then before turning out the light. Loving waking up without alcohol still trying to exit my brain !

Am doing some deep thought reading also and want to do more.

Comment

I Loved Day 7 Dryuary Post: "Some of us are return visitors. Some of us return year after year. Welcome back, old friends! We may believe we know what to expect and are settling back into our Dryuary routines with familiar ease. If we do that, though, are we really changing direction, as referred to in the quote above, or are we just back in the same old place? Is Dryuary a ritual for us, or has it become a routine?"

This Dryuary has me in a very different place than last year. Reading my Journal at the end of the year was discouraging and although I have made progress, I'm feeling a great discomfort in my general direction, "Are we just back in the same old place?" Well, no not exactly but it really has me thinking about where I want to go/be.

BTW, I got the email for Day 8 Dryuary but when I went on the Dryuary.org website I did not see Day 8 post on there?

Comment

lisatherese67 , I just noticed the same thing and contacted Kurt about it.

Comment

Day 8 is public now

Comment

kary may Great post! I love rituals as well, and have been working to replace my old drinking ones with new, more satisfying, fun ones. To be honest, I was really tired of my old ritual of signifying the end of work by driving to a 7-11 and buying two beers and drinking them on the couch watching TV. Those rituals that just aren't fun anymore but you keep doing anyway. I would even drive to different ones as I didn't want the 7-11 employee working the register to judge me, lol.

A ritual I really enjoy is to pretend I'm on vacation when I wake up and I spend the first two hours doing stuff I want to do - I read or journal, soak in the hot tub with a meditation app, then a few minutes of stretching or yoga. If work thoughts poke through (they usually do) I remind myself I'm on vacation until it's time to start work. (I work from home but it's a high stress, lots of hours job for a big high-tech company).

I've been trying the same in the evenings to replace the beer ritual - the act of getting in the hot tub and putting on the meditation app seems to be a nice anchor for me to relax and not think about work.

Comment

I have a habit calendar I keep where I log various habits I've been working on over the years. I have added a big green heart for not drinking. I get up, feed the cats, make my coffee and make my updates to the calendar, and feel motivated when I add another heart. In December I signed up for the Daily Calm app, and I've been working my way through a couple of their meditation series. Adding that in the mornings has been a big help, I think. I've also started coming home and pouring myself 4 ounces of pomegranate juice where in the past it would have been alcohol. Not sure if that counts as a ritual or a habit, but because I focus on how it is building my health up instead of tearing it down I think perhaps it's both.

Comment

juliezed Please tell us more about your "Habit Calendar" is this something you made by yourself? Sounds like a great tool.

Comment

juliezed Yes, please share on the habit calendar. I keep a log, yeah it has dates so a calendar. % success, notes. Spreadsheet, flat file format. Like one I started in Dec 2019, "Reading news less frequently and not compulsively. I know how much time that was and I replace that with science-net.org.
                    Awareness, counting, logging, reviewing, planning.

Comment

kary may , sounds great, the darkness and candle (ambience). I do with no candle and wind chimes (ok digital variety) and others with candles. I am a recovered catholic though, my framework is more antheistic, mostly doctrineless Buddhism. My central point is phenomenology. I also have a ritual for preparing for floatation tank sessions and one afterwards. I think this thread in general, whatever one's vantage point is, presents a great opportunity. To go with rituals would be traditions, etc.
                      Awareness, counting, logging, reviewing, planning.

Comment

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 5.24.12 AM.png
                        Re the calendar, I download a new monthly Excel template from Vertex42.com every year. You can see what it looks like. I add the column on the left for the habits I'm working on, and I total number of drinks on the right and also have a running count of steps, since my goal is to average 8,000 steps a day. You'll notice there are pretty much blanks in the last row. That's my newest goal of spending 5 minutes on my husband's stair stepper every day. That one may leave the calendar again soon!

1Risingforce - nice to hear that someone else is doing this too. I've tried the habit tracking apps, but somehow just seeing it laid out like this works best for me.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X