Dryuary Observations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryuary Observations

This has been my first month not drinking since I started the moderation plan back in October, here's what I've noticed so far:

1) January is a long month! A full 31 days to this month. Although time seems to fly faster and faster each year, January has been deliberately slow -- each and every day has been full, robust, and long.
    2) I have never been more acutely aware of the date. Because I started on January 1, I never have to look at the calendar to know what the date is -- I'm on day 28, therefore, the date is Jan 28, 2018.
    3) Much of my life has been spent in front of the tv. I'm one who often complains that I don't have enough time to do things -- creative projects that I can't get to because of my day job. So, I started off January with also the goal of no tv for the month of January and bingo! Found myself with more time for creative projects and for exercise. The no tv thing didn't last, which lead me to my next observation.
    4) Sometimes there's no better way to unwind from the day than to put on a good show and snuggle on the couch with the pup (this, too, friends, requires moderation -- not the puppy snuggles but the tv watching).
    5) Activities that normally would involve a drink and currently don't are neither better nor worse, they are merely different. The past three nights have been a happy hour, a movie outing, and dinner with friends. All three of those can be drinking events and although I did want to have a drink on those occasions, not having one didn't lessen the experiences in the end. I still enjoyed myself and the companionship just as much as I would have otherwise. Furthermore, I went to an exercise class after the happy hour, and wouldn't have been able to if I'd had a drink at the happy hour.
    6) Last but not least -- I seem to enjoy making lists!

The current plan is to do another 30 (actually, 31) in July -- another long month! Since July is mid-way through the year, I think that will be a good time to take a break again. It's good to remember that life can still happen and be enjoyed without alcohol, and it's a good time to reflect on other things too. For me, it's been enlightening to look at where my time goes, which will help with priorities and goals.

All the best to all of you as we wind down these last few days of Dryuary.

Nice observations, Tory, and congratulations on your thoughtful and listified Dryuary experience! (And yay for puppy snuggles!)
    Way before I ever heard of Dryuary or MM a friend of mine always abstained for the full months of January and July. Itís a great punctuation in your year of other efforts at moderation and exploring what drinking gives and takes, to and from your life.
    Best wishes!
    RB
    RB

Working on being consistently in the Blue.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your observations. I relate to the time issue!

I too had one insight this morning as I was feeding the dog at 5am (my day starts early!). Although I'm not yet through my first 30, since I started a week late, I can see the light, and realize it hasn't been as hard as I thought. So much is habit....reaching for the wine after a long long day at work. It isn't as though I haven't wanted it, but I felt like I had the power to decide not to. It's funny how at the beginning of the month, I really didn't have much confidence I would stick it out. Wine is like a domineering parent, spouse or friend who, over the many years, has had a subtle way of undermining confidence, convincing me I really don't have the resources to go it alone....that I need it/them to deal with life. Apparently not the case.

Comment

Way to go, Jekl! Way to show the wine who's really in charge here!! Tonight is the last night of Dryuary for me and it was actually a little tough because the way my week is turning out, tonight would have been a good night to indulge a little, but I am happy to say, I did not give in.And now I can enjoy the satisfaction of having met a personal goal -- a feeling I hope to carry on through my next few months of moderation.

Comment

Working...
        X