Dryuary - Day 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dryuary - Day 1

Good afternoon folks - As I have never done a Dryuary before, I am not certain what the protocol, if any, may be. Is it the case that we post here as we do in any other threads? In any event, today is Dryuary Day 1 for me. I finished out December pretty well, but am truly looking forward to a break! I am looking forward to sharing this month of no alcohol with all of you.

Same, exactly. Yay for Day 1! Happy New Year! ~sher

Comment

Iím also partaking.. this will be the first Dryuary Iíve attempted. Iíve been drinking consecutively for the last 4 days... I feel like crap.. I donít drink this much. My issue is with moderating on special events or social gatherings. Anyhow. My birthday is the 25th so Iíll be happy to make it til then to be honest. Looking forward to this experience wit you all

Comment

Thanks stefaniesmom for starting up the thread to follow! I've been drinking more again over the last month and am really looking forward to this break. After a few days of abs I will feel more positive, I know that as it always works. Alcohol is after all a depressant. I am looking forward to sharing this journey with you all too. Think I'll have some tea and biscuits!
        Last edited by Kekohu; 01-02-2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks for getting this thread started stefaniesmom! I will be joining in on Dryuary for the 4th year in a row-YIKES!! Time surely does fly....I am actually hoping to make it to Jan. 26 as we will be celebrating our BFF's daughter's wedding that weekend so I want to give myself a little leeway to partake in a glass of champagne or two during that time. I don't do much posting on the forum but always know I am in good company here during dryuary. Tea and biscuits sound goo Kekohu. I am in a similar spot as you too Kekohu-retired & working part-time/here & there....that down time can definitely lead to more opportunities to reach for a drink or two or more. I will be hosting chat tonight and hope to see some dryuary folks pop into that this month.

Comment

Hello hello MM Dryuary friends! I abstained today but am holding off on entering into the full commitment to Dryuary until after the 10th --some big festive stuff in the family in the next set of days, and I want to give myself some leeway. However, here's a funny one: I have been talking about Dryuary, and noticed that w/o saying anything, loveofmylife abstained today --that is really unusual. And it put wind in my sails to drink O'Douls and not an IPA after a good, challenging ski. So...two in the household, clean, fresh and sober. Feeling just great and ready to let the holidays go and turn the page into a good, healthy start to the year.

Tea and biscuits...mmm....*will* I get the stinkeye if I bring them to bed, though (I'm cosy and typing from my laptop, and cookies in bed are just not something loveofmylife would be okay with...dang... )

Comment

I was looking for this forum yesterday! lol. Well, props to you mae. sounds rational and clear around your BFF's wedding, I'd too give myself some leeway on such timing of events. I am looking forward to not only dropping the drink for jan, but also the cigar and pot binge I enjoyed for the holidays as well. I've been doing this most of my life anyway with alcohol and tobacco, save for when in my 20's, too much pot I think then, by my definition of too much. I can say that most challenging issues for me are the way I handle my self talk around using and how and why I use. I define moderation, if I am using to enhance my experience of life , relationships, dynamics of family, boundaries, sharing, giving, and enhancing movie watching or recreation, I consider that moderate using..

so that is my dilemma, even now I feel the fun, the hit of the buzz, smell of fine tobacco, of lighting up my cigar next to me, that I did for the past 60 days enjoyably. however, I also look forward to losing the throat flem cough I get too , saving spending the money on it. I see how many cravings I get, and its a lot every few minutes, and then stress responding to it. So I do see it's pull to habituate it for sure. I like to have fun, and the buzz, and the party of it. but I see the underlying edgyness of tobacco users wanting to go use, and the sort of game it plays with my expectations. Sure , I might seem contradictory, as I love and do yoga too. But usually after about 7-10 days, most of the cravings for a tobacco hit go, and I also sorta see myself in context of enjoying tobacco again at a later time, like next holiday, per se. but I don't want to use it all the time, as the breaks helps make the using of it fun too.

Comment

Good Morning on day 2 of dryary! mae, this is my second dryuary and last year I was successful so am looking forward tot that again to start 2018. And I want to look into the chats this time. I really feel the need for more personal connection to help me with this. Am in counseling weekly with a holiday break this last 2 weeks, but the last time she asked how the drinking thing was going I said "fine." It is better overall the last year, but this week I will discuss the slide and doing dryuary again.

3733 the biscuits are crumbly! The are the cookies the English call biscuits. Pretty yummy but could be uncomfortable when trying to have a restful night's sleep .

On to day 2, feeling strong right now. Because I've been numbing myself more than I wanted during the holiday season I will be confronting some pretty big issues soon and will need to actually deal with them. Am feeling somewhat uncomfortable and am glad to be here with you all for support to face up to things.

Looking forward to a good month!

Comment

Good morning Kehohu,
                  I am on day 2 also and have been numbing myself more during the Holidays... Here is the thing. I already sleep like a baby, but I have trouble getting up as I feel incredibly sad many times throughout the day. I have been separated for almost a year now, can't say that I miss my ex or anything like that but somehow I can't get past the sadness. I couldn't wait to start the New Year, but my mood is the same. I do know I have to kick myself in the butt and I will, but I am letting myself feels things first. Has anybody else experienced this the first few days of abs?

Comment

Good morning everyone...Happy Dryuary Day 2! Tough_Rosie. I am so sorry you are feeling sad...that is not a fun place to be. Do you think it might be due to you feeling a "loss" at not drinking in combination with perhaps being on your own? I don't know your situation and certainly don't want to pry, but I wonder if the feeling of sadness pertains to a perception of a continuing "loss" of something? Not sure this makes sense, but I truly hope you feel better soon!

Yesterday was not difficult for me and I don't expect the rest of my work week (Mon-Thurs) to be difficult, but the weekends are a different story. I guess I have always thought of the weekend as being a time for a glass or two of wine (celebratory? relieve stress?) . I thought about it yesterday and came to the conclusion that I will turn to NA beer. I have several different varieties in the fridge, so will enjoy one each weekend evening. The good thing about beer for me is that one fills me up so much that I never think about having a second.

​​​​​​​Hoping everyone has a wonderful day!

Comment

stefaniesmom - what are the n/a beers you stock? I'd love some variety beyond O'Douls, but I find the Clausthaler to be too close to soda pop. Looking around in my area for the n/a Mexican beers, which I really liked: Sol Cero (I think it's w/a c) and Corona ...can't remember what it's called, but anyway. Both are quite good and I'd really like to hear of more brands!

Comment

Tough_Rosie - sending warmest thoughts to you. How wise of you to take such a bold, challenging step when you are going through the period of confusion and loss in your marriage. You are amazing! Any chance you could help yourself see that with some good, bouncy, loud YES I AM AWESOME music? Or go on a movie bingefest with tough, fine female characters? Wonder Woman, 9-5, the Mad Max with Charlize Theron, Atomic Blonde, The Object of My Affection are all titles that come to mind. Or if those don't suit, think it over: what would it take to get yourself in the headspace to celebrate yourself? Because you've made a big, self-loving move in entering into Dryuary. We need to get your feelings about yourself lined up with the honor, respect and future-looking you actively showed yourself in taking that step.

I'll stash my soapbox (can you tell I'm an oldest sibling? ) . But cheers (in the bitters-and-soda way) to you. I hope you'll keep posting and sharing here. Welcome!

Comment

This my second Dryuary, My wife and I do it together and the support really helps. I am a much more heavy drinker than she is. The first few days I feel weepy about all the time I have wasted drinking and thinking about all of the mornings I have woken up sick and anxious. I try to focus on the joy and laughter that my family provides and also urge surf. By week 2 I am on could nine. Make me wonder why I seem to wind up in the same polluted state each year. I am going to truly focus on MM after this thirty! Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Tough_Rosie, unfortunately two of my favorites are the O'Doul's Amber and Clausthaler Dry Hopped. I have never come across any Mexican N/A beers, but would love to try them if I do. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Comment

After a bit of contemplation and discussing with DH, I have decided I am not comfortable with posting on this open forum. I definitely will be continuing with Dryuary, but not posting here. Looking forward to hearing how you all are doing, hopefully in other threads.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X